From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 12:18:42
1 On 9 May 2016 at 00:09, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > 1. announce to gentoo-dev@ the intention to start a branch intending to
3 > merge
4 >
5 > 2. hack hack hack
6 >
7 > 3. test the merge for any conflicts etc,
8 >
9 > 4. announce to the list a date/time to merge
10 >
11 > 5. if okay, ermge
14 I think that's a bit excessive myself. I dislike merges, but I don't
15 hate them *quite* that much to justify such formality.
16
17 Because IMO, its not about forbidding merges, its about making sure
18 the use of merges is appropriate and effective.
19
20 For instance, stabilizing ~100 ebuilds in response to a single stable
21 request, it would make logical sense to group all those stabilizations
22 so that they appear on the left side as a single atomic change, while
23 still existing as a series on the right side of the branch for
24 historical accuracy
25 and for other practical reasons ( like simplified commit reverts )
26
27 Pretty much *anything* that does "bulk changes for single purpose" is
28 a good candidate for a merge.
29
30 For instance, there's ~100 commits sitting around somewhere in a
31 repository for introducing Perl 5.24 to the tree, which requires a
32 commit for each and every entry in virtual/perl-*
33
34 It would make much sense for this series to be visible on Master as a
35 "add Perl 5.24 to tree" commit, because all the changes are inherently
36 interdependent,
37 and it would make little sense to rewind to a specific point within
38 that series and use it as a portage tree.
39
40 But that's not significant enough to warrant a lot of formal fluffing around.
41
42 It for sure would be best if that 100 commit range was rebased before
43 merging, but it should still be a non-fast-forward merge just to keep
44 the history logical.
49 Kent
50
51 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL