From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 12:34:48
1 On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 9 May 2016 at 00:09, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 1. announce to gentoo-dev@ the intention to start a branch intending to
4 >> merge
5 >>
6 >> 2. hack hack hack
7 >>
8 >> 3. test the merge for any conflicts etc,
9 >>
10 >> 4. announce to the list a date/time to merge
11 >>
12 >> 5. if okay, ermge
13 >
14 > It would make much sense for this series to be visible on Master as a
15 > "add Perl 5.24 to tree" commit, because all the changes are inherently
16 > interdependent,
17 > and it would make little sense to rewind to a specific point within
18 > that series and use it as a portage tree.
19 >
20 > But that's not significant enough to warrant a lot of formal fluffing around.
21 >
22 > It for sure would be best if that 100 commit range was rebased before
23 > merging, but it should still be a non-fast-forward merge just to keep
24 > the history logical.
27 ++
28
29 merges shouldn't just be used for random pull-requests. However, when
30 you're touching multiple packages/etc they should be considered. They
31 should also be considered if for some reason you had a bazillion
32 commits to a single package that for some reason shouldn't be rebased.
33 I imagine that they'll be a small portion of commits as a result.
34 However, for the situations where they're appropriate they make a lot
35 of sense.
36
37 This was some of Duncan's point, but I will comment that we'll never
38 have as clean a history as the kernel simply because we don't have a
39 release-based workflow with the work cascading up various trees. The
40 kernel is almost an ideal case for a merge-based workflow. I imagine
41 that half of Gentoo's commit volume is random revbumps and keyword
42 changes and that is just going to be noise no matter what. If we were
43 release-based we could do that stuff in its own branch and merge it
44 all in at once, but that just isn't us.
47 Rich