From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 04:21:40
1 On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 08:45, Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > Hi Kurt,
3 >
4 > This is an awesome GLEP idea, and I'm glad it finally got put into written
5 > words. The one suggestion I have, which I am sure is up for a large amount
6 > of criticism, is that I think Gentoo should charge a fee for the use of this
7 > tree. This is, in my opinion, a premium service, and a I believe it should
8 > come with a premium price, even if it's as low as 5 dollars per quarter.
9 >
10 > But maybe I'm totally off base here.
11
12 I won't support any fee being charged for access to a stable Gentoo
13 tree.
14
15 The work by Gentoo developers -- my work and the work of many others --
16 should be available at no cost to the public. That is the general
17 expectation of everyone who contributes to this project, and should be
18 respected. Let's not fall into the trap of charging for something just
19 because we can. We are not in need of the money.
20
21 I know that you have only the best intentions in wanting to charge $5
22 per quarter for access to a stable tree, and it certainly wouldn't
23 prevent any company from using a stable tree. But the reason why this
24 fee is a bad idea is that many who contribute to this project do so with
25 the desire of making their work available to the public at absolutely no
26 cost.
27
28 Requiring a fee for access to software developed by this project, no
29 matter how small, and regardless of how pure our intentions and how
30 noble a purpose for which any such fee might be charged, causes people
31 to question whether the goal of the project is really charitable in
32 nature. I learned this the hard way when we tried to start Gentoo Games
33 and use the revenue to "support" the project. All those involved had the
34 best possible intentions, but the effort wasn't in the best interests of
35 Gentoo as a _free software project_. What helps Gentoo financially
36 doesn't necessarily help the project.
37
38 Financially, we're already very well-supported by our community. Yes, if
39 we launched some money-making effort, we could have generated a lot of
40 revenue very quickly, transitioned to a not-for-profit corporation and
41 applied for 501(c)(3) status by now. But we would have had to compromise
42 our principles to do this, and transitioning to a not-for-profit is
43 about protecting our principles, not making compromises. In this, the
44 way we go about reaching the goal of "not-for-profit" just is as
45 important as the goal itself.
46
47 I don't mean to sound preachy, but any amount charged for access to our
48 software is too much.
49
50 Regards,
51