From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:30:00
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:48:27 +0100
3 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> ...and then we have to do the whole thing again every time something
5 >>> new crops up.
6 >> Please give an example because I fail to see how.
7 >
8 > New version suffix rules. New bash versions. New package naming rules.
9 > Partially composable EAPIs. Tree-provided internals. Consistent variable
10 > namespacing. Metadata via function calls.
11 >
12 >>> EAPI was supposed to solve this, and profile eapi and
13 >>> GLEP 55 finish the job. Repeatedly going back and saying "oh, we
14 >>> have to wait another year or more again" is unacceptable.
15 >> Had we found a compromise at the beginning of glep55, that extra year
16 >> would be over by now...
17 >
18 > And we'd be starting on the next batch of "oh, we need to wait another
19 > year". Had GLEP 55's necessity been accepted a year ago, we'd have a
20 > whole bunch of requested features implemented by now.
23 I doubt Portage would have gained new features any faster.
24
25 Regards,
26 Petteri