From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Issues regarding glep-55 (Was: [gentoo-council] Re: Preliminary Meeting-Topics for 12 February 2009)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:33:45
1 On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:30:04 +0200
2 Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
3 > > And we'd be starting on the next batch of "oh, we need to wait
4 > > another year". Had GLEP 55's necessity been accepted a year ago,
5 > > we'd have a whole bunch of requested features implemented by now.
8 > I doubt Portage would have gained new features any faster.
9
10 Some useful things that are currently difficult become a lot easier to
11 implement with GLEP 55. Per-package eclasses, for example, are easy if
12 you don't have to care about the upgrade path, as is replacing
13 versionator with a package manager internal. The complexity for both of
14 those is in the upgrade path, not the implementation.
17 Ciaran McCreesh