From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:15:03
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 18.11.2012 08:57, Greg KH wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:02:19PM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >>> 1) systemd-udev will require systemd. Stated by the systemd
5 >>> maintainers themselves as a thing they want to do in the future. Some
6 >>> users don't want to use systemd. We could go into detail as to why;
7 >>> but I think that is not as important as one may think. The point is
8 >>> that the desire is there, and thusly there are users who want to make
9 >>> other systems (namely openrc) work.
10 >>>
11 >>> People like openrc. My VMs for instance, boot reasonably quickly.
12 >>> Booting 5 seconds faster may be super duper, but not at the cost of an
13 >>> existing reliable solution.
14 >>
15 >> So is this the goal? Great, someone say that then, that's all I'm
16 >> asking for here.
17 >>
18 >>>> That's wonderful, seriously. But why is this suddenly an official
19 >>>> Gentoo project? When did that happen, and why? Why not just do a
20 >>>> "normal" project and if it matures and is good enough, then add it to
21 >>>> the distro like all other packages are added.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> My main point here is the fact that this is now being seen as an act by
24 >>>> Gentoo, the distro / foundation. And that happened in private, without
25 >>>> any anouncement. Which is not good on many levels.
26 >>>
27 >>> I'm unsure on what grounds you disapprove. People start (and abandon)
28 >>> projects often in Gentoo. Suddenly you dislike one such project and
29 >>> object to this practice? Certainly if we had to get some sort of
30 >>> Foundation consensus (for anything) nothing would happen. We can't
31 >>> even get more than 40% of foundation members to vote.
32 >>
33 >> I object if this is seen as a "Gentoo blessed" fork of a community
34 >> project that is worked on by all other major Linux distros. That is the
35 >> type of decision that can be made by the Gentoo Council, which is fine,
36 >> but it sure would be nice if it were publicly stated, instead of having
37 >> to see it on the Gentoo github site instead.
38 >
39 > Hi,
40 > I've seen this argument being repeated all over this thread and I'd like
41 > to clarify: http://github.com/gentoo (nor it's bitbucket.org
42 > counterpart) was never meant to host "Gentoo blessed" forks/projects and
43 > it *doesn't*.
44 > Sole purpose of it, was to encourage more contribution from users using
45 > web goodies like "click a button to fork", since most of the people are
46 > very comfortable with github's workflow. We (gentoo-science team) have
47 > seen significant increase of interest since we've started using github.
48 > Cheers,
49 > Kacper
50
51 Hi,
52
53 Well, if yoiu fork a big community project, like udev, in a github
54 account called gentoo, people *will* think it is a Gentoo project.
55
56 If these organizations aren't governed by Gentoo they should have some
57 disclaimers, saying that the projects hosted there aren't sponsored by
58 Gentoo, but this udev-ng/eudev/whatever thing does the opposite and
59 actually advertise the Gentoo sponsorship with the sentence "This is a
60 Gentoo sponsored project and testing is currently being done with
61 openrc." in their README
62
63 I don't think that someone can claim this sponsorship without a council vote.
64
65 I disagree with this fork, and tend to agree with what Greg and Diego
66 said before in this thread.
67
68 BR,
69
70 Rafael
71
72 > P.s. Just to emphasise it even more: There's a pornview fork there too.
73 > I don't recall Gentoo Council acknowledging it as default imageviewer.
74 > We should definitely put it into agenda. </reductio ad absurdum>
75
76 You really want to compare pornview, that was dead and someone kindly
77 resurrected, with udev, that is actively maintained and the quality of
78 the fork is questionable? :(
79
80 >> And if that is the decision of the council, I would expect the ability
81 >> to have some type of discussion about it, wouldn't you?
82 >>
83 >> Also, the whole issue with the copyrights is very serious, for the
84 >> reasons I've stated before. Don't mess with copyrights, developers, and
85 >> companies, take them very serious, as they are the basis for our
86 >> licenses.
87 >>
88 >> thanks,
89 >>