From: Grant Goodyear <grant@×××××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] kde problem?
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:21:21
1 Last night I installed a clean version of the rc5 system using the i686
2 binary CD (r2, to be exact) and emerge --usepkg system. I also emerged
3 openssh, and I then used "emerge kdebase-2.1.1-r1.ebuild" to build X,
4 kde, and anything else required along the way.
5
6 When I try to start kde either from kdm or by doing an "echo 'startkde
7 &' > ~/.xinitrc" and "startx", it crashes out very quickly with no error
8 message. I would have suspected a pam problem if the problem had just
9 been with kdm, instead I'm just pretty well clueless. I know that X is
10 working because I can run "startx" without an .xinitrc file and I can
11 login as a user using failsafe mode. Does anybody have any thoughts?
12
13 Nevermind, I just found it. The ebuild modifies
14 /opt/kde2.1/bin/startkde, but it fails to make the modified
15 script executable. Oops. I fixed the ebuild on CVS.
16
17 I still don't know why, when I log in as a user instead of root,
18 I only get the K menu and the desktop icons on the panel. The
19 shell, control center, help, home directory, konqueror, and
20 kwrite icons are all missing. Help?
21
22 -Grant-
23 --
25 | Grant Goodyear | The Secrets of Physics: |
26 | Dept. of Chemistry - UH |1. Add zero. |
27 | Houston, TX 77204 |2. Multiply by one. |
28 |-------------------------------------|3. Expand in a Taylor series|
29 |e-mail: goodyear@××.edu |4. Integrate by parts. |
30 |www:bernacchi.chem.uh.edu/~grant |5. Fourier transform. |
31 | |6. Add auxiliary variables |