From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:20:16
1 On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:35:59 +0100 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Thursday 22 February 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 04:04:37 +0000 Steve Long
5 | > <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 | > | > I'm saying that until there is an independent implementation,
7 | > | > the specification is worthless and will contain huge numbers of
8 | > | > errors.
9 | > |
10 | > | Seriously? Without an implementation, your spec of what should
11 | > | happen will have loads of errors?
12 | >
13 | > Yes. It will describe what people think is allowed, rather than what
14 | > really is. Perfect example -- we'd never have caught the multiple
15 | > sourcing issue without an independent implementation.
16 |
17 | I'm sorry, but this was already a known issue over 3 years ago. And
18 | yes, the way portage handles ebuilds does not necessarilly win any
19 | beauty contest.
20
21 Which isn't relevant to what I said. Had it not been for the
22 independent implementation, it would have remained "something that's
23 been known to be weird for years", and would not have been documented
24 or specified either way.
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
29 Web : http://ciaranm.org/