From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:57:20
1 On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 10:41, Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > I am reading it now, yes. He also stated he will move it before 30 days
3 > because he uses it, and needs it. So basically, what I am seeing, is if its
4 > important enough for the dev, then they forget the 30 day rule. If its not,
5 > they don't..
6
7 No. He didn't say that he would move it before 30 days. Read it
8 again. He specifically said that he *isn't* moving MySQL until he is
9 *positive* that it does not have the same bugs as the previous version
10 did.
11
12 > Which is getting me right were I thought I would be in this, the devs just
13 > basically do what they want. They follow the rules when they want to.
14
15 ...and devs that do this on a regular basis are dealt with by devrel.
16 The rules are there for a reason. However, you seem to misunderstand
17 the rules and are exploiting their wordings for your own personal
18 agendas. Congratulations...
19
20 > Mysql is sitting for a good reason, which was my question in the beginning.
21 > Why is it sitting. He answered, but also stated he moves them in if the
22 > changes are significant enough. But according to the policy sent to me, its
23 > only suppose to if its a security fix. Which is why I am waiting for kde,
24 > because its not been 30 days, but does have a significant fix in it. just as
25 > the mysql developer stated he moved his in earlier for.
26
27 No. He said he moves them in if the changes are *insignificant*
28 enough. Changes that are tiny bug fixes, or heck, even typo fixes are
29 quite common. They're able to bypass the waiting period and go straight
30 to stable.
31
32 > I don't know anymore.. Let the devs just do what they want..
33
34 You seem to think we will anyway, so why are you bothering to even
35 continue this?
36
37 > > That being said I'd love to always have the newest KDE and its unfortunate
38 > > that Caleb just didn't have the time to move it.
39 >
40 > Funny thing is, if I had just got the reply from him, and none of this other
41 > crap, this wouldn't be the thread that it is... I just wanted to know why
42 > some are taking so long. I wasn't aware of this 30 day rule before. I
43 > remember many ebuilds being there for only a few days, then being set stable
44 > many times in the past.. Mysql being one.
45 >
46 > Oh well, you guys just do what you want.. This thread is going way past my
47 > intentions anymore.
48
49 I'm glad the we have your approval. I'll be sure to submit a story to
50 GWN this next week that you approve of our actions.
51
52 I know that you have met with some resistance, but quite frankly, it is
53 to be expected when all you do is come out and criticize those of us
54 that devote time and energy to Gentoo to make it better for everyone who
55 uses it. If perhaps next time before you fly off the cuff and write an
56 email complaining about something, you were to think about a possible
57 solution, and maybe even research the "problem" that you're criticizing
58 so that you come across as being helpful and not being a complete
59 self-serving ass, you'll be better received.
60
61 Also, maybe you could have avoided this entire thing if you had simply
62 emailed kde@g.o, seeing as how they're the maintainer. Writing
63 emails to -dev complaining about something being stable is about as
64 useful as a bicycle to a fish.
65
66 As Kurt had said before, besides being a developer for Gentoo, primarily
67 I am a Gentoo user. When I find a bug in an ebuild/package, I contact
68 the maintainers and file a bug. I give them the same information I
69 would expect from any other user on a bug assigned to me. I let them
70 make the decision on what to do because they are the maintainer, and
71 they know what is best for the package in question.
74 Chris Gianelloni
75 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
76 Gentoo Linux
77
78 Is your power animal a pengiun?
82 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list