From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:47:41
1 On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:29:45 -0500 "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 | Flat files can be great in certain situations. Flat files do indeed
4 | make the parsing trivial. However SIMPLE CODE ISN'T ALWAYS THE MOST
5 | IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT. In the case of this GLEP, the most important
6 | requirement is getting the proper migration info to the users in the
7 | best possible way.
8
9 Read the list of requirements in the GLEP. The plain text solution
10 meets all of them. XML fails on several.
11
12 And, incidentally, I came up with the requirements list *before*
13 dismissing XML.
14
15 | So what are the trade-offs of the 'flat file'? If you store a
16 | migration guide as a 'flat file', its not going to be very readable.
17
18 Who said anything about storing a migration guide as a flat file? Read
19 the GLEP.
20
21 | GuideXML is the standard for Gentoo docs for some damn good reasons!
22
23 No, it's the standard because Daniel said so. And the reasons behind
24 which web publishing setup we use have little relation to good reasons
25 for a news delivery system.
26
27 Why do you think we still send email in plain text?
28
29 *shrug* Anyway, if you want to come up with an alternate GLEP based
30 around XML, bittorrent, Java and CORBA, go right ahead. The GLEP system
31 is quite happy with handling multiple competing proposals for a given
32 topic, and at the end of it we can select the best proposal, reject all
33 the proposals or go and come up with a new proposal with bits from
34 both.
37 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
38 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
39 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm