From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:53:52
1 On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:28:52 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:20:17 -0500 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > | Do *YOU* have anything useful to contribute to the discussion
7 > because | all I've seen is your useless FUD which countless times
8 > people have | said is not true.
9 >
10 > If you bothered to pay attention, you'll note that Roy *didn't*
11 > guarantee compatibility until late on in the discussion, and that he
12 > only started providing that guarantee because of what you're calling
13 > "useless FUD".
14 >
15 > What remains is the larger issue of whether "I want to scratch an
16 > itch" is sufficient justification for doing whatever one wants. To
17 > quote ferdy:
18 >
19 > "mmm since these kde ebuilds are itching me a lot... am I free to cvs
20 > remove them to scratch it?"
23 While we're at it, I've got an itch to remove gnome from the
24 tree. Can I do it? Please? Pretty please? Seriously everyone, take
25 a step back and forget the fact that you are talking to Ciaran, and
26 consider only the point he is trying to make. Is "scratching an itch"
27 justification to make radical changes that will affect *all* users of
28 Gentoo? I don't think it is unreasonable to demand a well-thought out
29 explanation that describes precisely the problems that are solved, the
30 the problems that are created, and the implications. I'm sorry, but "I
31 want to scratch an itch" isn't a reasonable explanation. It's a
32 cop-out.
33
34 -Steve
35
36 P.S. Before anyone decides to make a counter-point with paludis
37 again, nobody is forcing anyone to use that. If baselayout is changed,
38 everyone is *forced* to use it.