From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 05:17:00
1 On 10/21/2019 06:13, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 16:57:54 -0400
3 > Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I know we've got a ton of Perl packages for the core set of Perl modules,
6 >> but doesn't the CPAN eclass also have the capability to auto-generate an
7 >> ebuild package for virtually any Perl package distributed via CPAN? Can
8 >> that logic be used with the CTAN system in its own eclass and then we remove
9 >> the 16k+ texlive modules off of our mirrors completely? Or at the worst, we
10 >> might just have to generate ebuilds for texlive modules and treat them as
11 >> discrete, installed packages.
12 >
13 > - Perl packages never have more than 1:1 source archives per ebuild
14 > - Perl upstream naming doesn't habitually use "perl-" as an archive prefix
15 > - Everything that is packaged for Perl in Gentoo is mirrored to the
16 > Gentoo distfiles mirror, and this causes no issues.
17 >
18 > So I don't think any comparison here makes sense.
19
20 I have to disagree on the "doesn't make sense" bit. Regardless of what it
21 is that TexLive is packaging, the problem that I feel exists is storing
22 these macro packages on our mirrors is what is responsible for 20% of *all*
23 distfiles that we store. That's lopsided that a small collection of
24 ebuilds, due to the way their build logic is architected, has that many
25 distfiles on the mirrors.
26
27 It's scenarios like that which led to MichaƂ developing the GLEP the way he
28 did. His approach is more broad, seeking to future-proof the mirroring
29 issue regardless of package mirroring decisions, whereas I'm more curious
30 why texlive needs all of those packages on our mirrors when it appears to
31 have a fairly comprehensive mirroring system of its own. Why reinvent the
32 wheel?
33
34 Since CTAN exists as a worldwide mirroring system, I think at a minimum, we
35 should try to fetch from that directly instead of mirroring them on our own
36 systems and partner mirrors. Or we could go the other way and become an
37 official CTAN mirror ourselves. After all, if we're going to reinvent the
38 wheel, do all four instead of just one.
39
40 And for Perl or Python, I think we should be making an effort to leverage
41 their respective mirroring systems first before putting their distfiles onto
42 our mirrors. Perl's got CPAN, and Python has pypi. For things that don't
43 exist on those systems, then we use our mirrors.
46 Joshua Kinard
47 Gentoo/MIPS
48 kumba@g.o
49 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
50 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
51
52 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
53 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
54
55 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic