From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 10:13:40
1 On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 16:57:54 -0400
2 Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I know we've got a ton of Perl packages for the core set of Perl modules,
5 > but doesn't the CPAN eclass also have the capability to auto-generate an
6 > ebuild package for virtually any Perl package distributed via CPAN? Can
7 > that logic be used with the CTAN system in its own eclass and then we remove
8 > the 16k+ texlive modules off of our mirrors completely? Or at the worst, we
9 > might just have to generate ebuilds for texlive modules and treat them as
10 > discrete, installed packages.
11
12 - Perl packages never have more than 1:1 source archives per ebuild
13 - Perl upstream naming doesn't habitually use "perl-" as an archive prefix
14 - Everything that is packaged for Perl in Gentoo is mirrored to the
15 Gentoo distfiles mirror, and this causes no issues.
16
17 So I don't think any comparison here makes sense.