From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Eigen and GPL-2 exception - is a new licence required?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:25:09
1 On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:41:58 +0100
2 "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > There is a template library called Eigen I would like to add to the
5 > tree. It is a dependency of an application I would like to add
6 > shortly. It will also end up being a dependency of KDE 4 (for
7 > kalzium). My question relates to the licence the code is released
8 > under.
9 >
10 > It is licenced under the GNU GPL, version 2 or later with the
11 > following exception,
12
13 This is a common situation with GPL compilers - some are licensed
14 so that they can be used to build non-GPL software, some can only be
15 used to build GPL software.
16
17 The situation with Eigen is similar to the "libgcc exception" for GCC.
18 We don't mention that in the LICENSE for gcc. This is the exception
19 that allows you to build non-GPL software with gcc (note for the
20 interested - if you build profiled executables with gcc, the GPL applies
21 to the built executable since the profile support code linked into the
22 executable is licensed purely under the GPL - not a real problem as
23 no-one distributes profiled executables!).
24
25 However there's also a similar exception for gnat-gcc; that has a
26 separate license file GMGPL which explains the situation there.
27 However this is talking about extra libgcc stuff that is
28 Ada-specific - the standard libgcc exception is not mentioned.
29 For information, gnat-gpl (the AdaCore-sponsored version) doesn't have
30 the exception, so is straight GPL - this also means you can't use
31 gnat-gpl to build and distribute BSD-licensed software, for example.
32
33 So currently we're inconsistent. We must be accurate in our license
34 declarations, I think, so my view is if Eigen has a license that is GPL
35 with some exception, that should be made clear.
36
37 All these exceptions are doing the same thing - relaxing the GPL as it
38 applies to the compiler (or template library in this case), so that it
39 does not apply to works created using it. I like the
40 "GPL-2-with-linking-exception" license name that the gnu-classpath
41 package uses; perhaps we could include (concatenate) all the exception
42 clauses that lead to the same thing into that license file and have the
43 relevant packages use that license name.
46 Kevin F. Quinn