From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Training points for users interested in helping out with ebuild development (was: Re: Retiring)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 12:19:38
1 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> said:
2 > On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o> posted
4 > > 200905101051.43926.bangert@g.o, excerpted below, on Sun, 10
5 > > May
6 > >
7 > > 2009 10:51:38 +0200:
8 > >> also, i feel voting for bugs is completely underutilized. votes make
9 > >> it apparent to the developers which bugs bug a lot of people. the
10 > >> incentive to fix those first is there...
11 > >
12 > > I know I've never use the bug vote feature, partly because I simply
13 > > forget it's there now, and partly due to confusion from seeing the
14 > > earlier rants against it. Such confusion makes for pretty strong
15 > > negative conditioning.
16 >
17 > Also, most people I know use CCing-frequency as a measure of how many
18 > people are facing a particular bug, and what importance level to
19 > assign to it. Votes only cause unnecessary noise and irritation --
20 > worse than "me too!" comments.
21
22 the number of people CC'ed to a certain bug is a good measure as well -
23 however, i cant sort on that in bugzilla. also, i may have experienced a
24 particular bug (and CCed to it), but its not a big deal to me. voting
25 allows for a much more fine grained user preference in that case. a user
26 only has 100 votes and can spend max 10 votes on a single bug - you can CC
27 to as many bugs a you want.
28
29 "me too" is an important information on a bug and between a comment, a CC
30 and a Vote i prefer the votes...
31
32 Thanks
33 Thilo