From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpng-1.5 smooth upgrade
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:43:41
1 On Sunday, February 13, 2011 15:16:58 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Il giorno dom, 13/02/2011 alle 14.22 -0500, Mike Frysinger ha scritto:
3 > > thus it's a lot more sane in the long term to assume that packages
4 > > support the latest rather than patching everyone (and being forced to
5 > > carry those custom patches indefinitely) to set the ceiling at the last
6 > > "known" working version.
7 >
8 > Okay so what would you think of installing the headers and .pc files for
9 > the "previous ABI" slotted packages? It would extend a bit more the
10 > non-latest, but wouldn't stray far from what we've done up to now, and
11 > we'd have a proof of concept to show upstream how to implements the
12 > fallbacks... then we could probably talk some of them to do just that.
13
14 i'm not sure how this is really any different from an arbitrary number of
15 parallel slots.
16 -mike