From: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:30:56
1 "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I just checked the web page of approval criteria to verify I
4 > remembered correctly and the first criteria is that the license
5 > allows free unrestricted distribution of the software. How much
6 > more free can you get than that?
7
8 Free distribution of software is one thing. Another thing for example
9 is the freedom to modify the software and also to distribute modified
10 versions of that software.
11
12 > If we add acknowledgment of the GNU license in the name, then
13 > shouldn't we do the same for all the other licenses that are used?
14
15 Uhm, the point is not to include "GNU" in the name, because there's a
16 "GNU License" and software included in Gentoo is licensed under that
17 license. Anyone can use the GNU Licenses. The point is not the
18 license, but the GNU software - all the GNU packages, which make the
19 Gentoo system usable.
20
21 > I say stick with tradition and just call it Linux.
22
23 ... and wake the impression that "Linux" is a great and very complete
24 operating system with it's own C library, development tools, shell
25 tools, file management tools, etc.
26
27 But, when the majority of the Gentoo team thinks it should be "Gentoo
28 Linux" - that's the decision. I can only say why I think that
29 GNU/Linux makes more sense.
30
31 Thanks.
32 moritz
33 --
34 moritz@×××××××××××××××.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
35 GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06 B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199