From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
To: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
Cc: mike <vapier@×××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:16:36
1 I wasn't going to jump into this mess but...
2
3 > I don't really think we should mischaracterize what Stallman is bringing
4 > up here. He hasn't asked anyone to ban all non-free software from the
5 > distribution. All he's saying is, with our definition it's possible for
6 > software that is considered "open source" but not "free" (as defined
7 > by RMS) to be depended on. He'd rather see us require only "free"
8 > software be depended on. (We're only talking about the base system
9 > here, not the entire distribution)
10 >
11 > The issue at hand is one of the terms we use. Do we mean Open Source,
12 > or do we mean "free software" (as defined by RMS). Personally, I'm
13 > fine with just saying that we will never depend on anything that's not
14 > open source, but saying we'll only depend on free software would be
15 > fine too considering that we /are/ only talking about the base system.
16 >
17 > Either way, I think it would probably behoove us to better define what
18 > we are saying. If we end up going the "Free Software" route, then we
19 > should probably make sure we refer to the FSF as well as OSI. If we
20 > don't handle it, it's only going to keep cropping up.
21
22 I don't like adding reference to the FSF for the same reason RMS didn't
23 like the first BSD license, there's the potential for the need to add
24 more and more such references. You could conceivably end up with a page
25 full of such references.
26
27 Furthermore, I do not see where RMS sees the potential for non-free
28 software under one of the OSI approved licenses. I just checked the
29 web page of approval criteria to verify I remembered correctly and
30 the first criteria is that the license allows free unrestricted
31 distribution of the software. How much more free can you get than
32 that?
33
34 >>>(If you would call the system Gentoo GNU/Linux, that would help us
35 >>>also. See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)
38 > For the record, if my vote counts for anything, I'm still against this.
39
40 I vote against it as well. The FSF did get the ball rolling with the
41 GNU license and some software but the vast majority of the GNU licensed
42 software in a distribution has nothing to do with the FSF other than
43 using their license. So this argument turns into acknowledging a
44 license in the name of the distribution. If we add acknowledgment of
45 the GNU license in the name, then shouldn't we do the same for all the
46 other licenses that are used? That could grow to be a mighty long
47 name. I say stick with tradition and just call it Linux.
50 Thomas M. Beaudry
51 k8la / ys1ztm