From: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>
To: mike <vapier@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:57:02
1 mike [vapier@×××××××.com] wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > as for 'allowing Gentoo to include programs that are not free software',
4 > then thats just tooooooooooo freakin bad imo. i want to play UT2003,
5 > you going to tell me i cant ? (insert other packages that fall under this
6 > criteria).
7 >
8 > > Would you please consider changing your criterion to refer to both the
9 > > OSI and the FSF, so that licenses must qualify as both free software
10 > > and open source?
11 >
12 > maybe for the section that Gentoo wont depend on, but if you're want to
13 > say Gentoo will never include software under such strict requirements,
14 > then piss off ;)
15
16 Hrm. I don't think this sort of vitriol is going to help. Also, you
17 would do well not to read more into what Stallman says than there is.
18
19 I don't really think we should mischaracterize what Stallman is bringing
20 up here. He hasn't asked anyone to ban all non-free software from the
21 distribution. All he's saying is, with our definition it's possible for
22 software that is considered "open source" but not "free" (as defined
23 by RMS) to be depended on. He'd rather see us require only "free"
24 software be depended on. (We're only talking about the base system
25 here, not the entire distribution)
26
27 The issue at hand is one of the terms we use. Do we mean Open Source,
28 or do we mean "free software" (as defined by RMS). Personally, I'm
29 fine with just saying that we will never depend on anything that's not
30 open source, but saying we'll only depend on free software would be
31 fine too considering that we /are/ only talking about the base system.
32
33 Either way, I think it would probably behoove us to better define what
34 we are saying. If we end up going the "Free Software" route, then we
35 should probably make sure we refer to the FSF as well as OSI. If we
36 don't handle it, it's only going to keep cropping up.
37
38 > > (If you would call the system Gentoo GNU/Linux, that would help us
39 > > also. See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)
40
41 For the record, if my vote counts for anything, I'm still against this.