From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing elasticsearch maintainer
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 17:17:41
1 On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Ohey,
4 >
5 > as you might have noticed I've just corrected the metadata.xml of all
6 > elasticsearch-related packages.
7 > For some strange reason I was listed there as maintainer, but since no one
8 > wanted to listen to my ideas I guess I wasn't. So now last person who
9 > touched it gets stuck with it.
10 >
11 > Since proxy-maint refuses to be removed from packages (especially since
12 > they were unconditionally added to all packages with a non-gentoo-dev
13 > maintainer in metadata) they are the de facto maintainers, and overrule
14 > everything else.
15 > I've tried multiple strategies including removing them from metadata, but
16 > ... see app-admin/elasticsearch, proxy-maint is like the toe fungus that
17 > always comes back (e.g. commit f0925c10834464e62ce7209f2afa7797b594d350 )
18 >
19 > Sometimes it's almost absurdly funny, especially when you commit
20 > RESTRICT="test" because tests fail reliably just to have that reverted.
21 > (See dev-python/elasticsearch-py )
22 >
23 > Bonus mention:
24 > bbdc5412061adf598ed935697441a7d6b05f7614
25 > app-admin/logstash-bin: drop old
26 >
27 > Signed-off-by: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
28 >
29 > That removed the versions I was using, so I better maintain the versions I
30 > use in an overlay. Well ok then.
33 I don't quite get this gripe. Gentoo is a rolling distro. Versions of
34 things "you are using" get removed and replaced with newer versions all the
35 time. Why is this a big deal now?
36
37 -A
41 > Since I, as maintainer, can't ... anything, well [CENSORED] this, now they
42 > are your packages. Don't try to reassign or drop them: You've demanded,
43 > insisted, to be maintainers ... wish granted.
44 >
45 > So, err, well, is like ... wtf? I'm not sure how this all makes sense, but
46 > it's Not My Problem now. Take care now, bye bye then.
47 >
48 > Oh, and Erki Ferenc was in metadata too, he's been inactive but told me
49 > that he wants to continue maintaining these packages in the near future. If
50 > he asks I'd recommend adding him back.
51 >
52 > Patrick
53 >
54 > P.S. If this sounds a bit incoherent, well ... the whole situation is, I
55 > have no idea what's going on or why I was in metadata ;)