From: Mark Gordon <mark.gt@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how CVS ebuilds are managed
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:46:31
1 On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:21:40 -0400
2 Robert Thomas <rwt@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > Instead of having a separate package for a cvs version of a package,
5 > why not consider the cvs version to be the latest version of a
6 > package, but always marked unstable?
7
8 They can't be done as ~arch as if I understand it this is testing and
9 things should be likely to work but CVS builds stand a reasonable chance
10 of failing due to upstream changes.
11
12 > Since the cvs version of a
13 > package usually overwrites the existing version, the old version
14 > should be automagically unmerged. For example, in the case of gaim and
15 > gaim-cvs, if the cvs version of gaim is installed, the stable version
16 > should be unmerged as if it was an old version of the package. Perhaps
17 > there is another way to manage this.
18 > In the case of binary packages (like openoffice-bin), they should also
19 > be considered to be the same package, but still kept separate in some
20 > way. Perhaps another USE flag?
21 > # USE="bin" emerge openoffice
22 >
23 > Or maybe cvs could be a new keyword:
24 > # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="cvs" emerge gaim
25 >
26 > Ok, I really am talking out of the wrong orifice here, and I know that
27 > these ideas are probably a misuse of USE flags and KEYWORDS. I would
28 > just like to know if something like this could work (not necessarily
29 > the way I've described it, perhaps a different extention to the
30 > version calculating routine altogether), or if there is a reason these
31 > packages are managed the way they are (by "these" I mean all packages
32 > ending in "-bin" or "-cvs").
33
34 Well, the ebuild has to be significantly different for a binary version
35 to a source version, so trying to mix them would probably be a
36 maintenance problem.
37
38 Also the binary version might be ready to go stable
39 before the source version, since it effectively only has to deal with
40 *one* set of flags.
41 --
42 Mark Gordon
43 Paid to be a Geek & a Senior Software Developer
44 Currently looking for a new job commutable from Slough, Berks, U.K.
45 Although my email address says spamtrap, it is real and I read it.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list