From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:51:38
1 On 20/02/2013 19:43, Greg KH wrote:
2 > Really? What firmware files are that way, I just did a quick scan
3 > through the upstream linux-firmware.git tree and didn't see anything
4 > that would prevent Gentoo from doing this.
5
6 No, not really. Greg, please don't expect everybody's word here to be
7 the Project's as you did already once - especially not if they are not
8 even really involved in it.
9
10 Ulrich Mueller (ulm) wrote this on the 16th:
11
12 > Look into the WHENCE file and be horrified. Taking just the first ten
13 > items (of a total 114):
14 >
15 > Unknown license (3 times)
16 > GPL, but without source (3 times)
17 > "All rights reserved"
18 > BSD, without source
19 > Right for redistribution not granted
20 > "Permission is hereby granted for the distribution [...] as part of
21 > a Linux or other Open Source operating system kernel"
22 >
23 > With one exception, we are not even allowed to redistribute these.
24
25 This is what we've been discussing about. This is not really about
26 Gentoo by itself, but the ability to distribute the sources at all, be
27 it from us or somebody else.
30 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
31 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/