From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:44:59
1 On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 07:25:14PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Greg KH wrote:
3 > > > If there really are firmware blobs that are only available via git and
4 > > > which cannot be redistributed we might consider whether it makes sense
5 > > > to not support them entirely, or to force them to be masked.
6 > >
7 > > Did anyone actually consider the fact that there should not be
8 > > non-redistributable firmware blobs in the upstream git tree in the
9 > > first place, as it is the thing that is doing the redistributing
10 > > originally?
11 >
12 > I think non-redistributable in this case means "by Gentoo" since that
13 > was identified to be the case for some of the files in the git
14 > repository. Their license allows them to be distributed in
15 > linux-firmware.git, but not elsewhere.
16
17 Really? What firmware files are that way, I just did a quick scan
18 through the upstream linux-firmware.git tree and didn't see anything
19 that would prevent Gentoo from doing this.
20
21 What did I miss?
22
23 thanks,