From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:37:05
1 On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:55:17 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 | On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 20:55 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > The plan, which may be full of holes, may change and may just be me
5 | > being crazy, is to replace using a stage with something like:
6 |
7 | OK. So not only are you planning on replacing portage, you're
8 | planning on replacing Release Engineering. Thanks, but we are not
9 | interested.
10
11 Not so much replacing as removing the need for.
12
13 | > paludis --config-suffix install --install system
14 | >
15 | > which will then go off and grab the relevant binary packages from a
16 | > remote location and merge them onto ROOT. Being able to do something
17 | > along these lines is a) one of several reasons for --config-suffix
18 | > and b) a large part of why I don't want to use the Portage tbz2
19 | > format, where metadata and contents aren't separated.
20 |
21 | Remote location, huh? What about non-networked installations?
22
23 Remote location can be somewhere else on a filesystem.
24
25 | > Assuming the above ends up not being insane, then yes.
26 |
27 | Which would have to be accepted by the Release Engineering project.
28 | Perhaps this point has been lost on you up until now.
29
30 *shrug* Not an issue. The whole thing removes the need for traditional
31 releases.
32
33 | > I'm pretty sure it would be easier to just not use anything in the
34 | > installer that relies upon VDB when using Paludis. The installer
35 | > code is flexible enough to make this not tooooo tricky.
36 |
37 | You mean like *all* of the GRP-handling code?
38
39 Also no longer necessary.
42 Ciaran McCreesh
43 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk