From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: MULTI_ABI support addition to main tree portage
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 20:31:21
1 Il giorno mer, 01/12/2010 alle 22.11 +0300, Alexey Shvetsov ha scritto:
2 >
3 > PS also with this feature seems amd64 and x86 can be merged in one
4 > arch (like it was done in kernel) since its only abis of ia32
5 >
6 I would suggest against that.
7
8 For the kernel it's somewhat easier, but for userland, x86 and amd64 are
9 definitely far enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it'll take a few
10 more years before we can easily consider the two keywords a single one.
11
12 Just think of a relatively-common situation.
13
14 void *bar = foo();
15
16 with foo implicitly declared. On 32-bit userland it'll be "all fine",
17 but will crash badly on 64-bit userland.
18
19 And this is without adding to the necessity of PIC, and the rest of
20 little details that this brings with it.
21
22 For the sake of safety, let's _not_ merge this, as we have said too many
23 times for me to dig up.
26 And finally, let's not call it ia32. No matter what Intel wants it to be
27 called, if you were to call it like that, you'd just have a number of
28 people asking why their ia64 stage don't work.
31 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
32 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
33
34 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
35 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/