From: Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: MULTI_ABI support addition to main tree portage
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:44:39
1 Well ok =)
2
3 i call it ia32 since its original name of this arch however it can be
4 better called x86 (x86_32 and x86_64)
5
6 PS seems many users were confused with ia64 since they associate it
7 with core2 and nahalem
8
9 2010/12/1 Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@×××××.com>:
10 > Il giorno mer, 01/12/2010 alle 22.11 +0300, Alexey Shvetsov ha scritto:
11 >>
12 >> PS also with this feature seems amd64 and x86 can be merged in one
13 >> arch (like it was done in kernel) since its only abis of ia32
14 >>
15 > I would suggest against that.
16 >
17 > For the kernel it's somewhat easier, but for userland, x86 and amd64 are
18 > definitely far enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it'll take a few
19 > more years before we can easily consider the two keywords a single one.
20 >
21 > Just think of a relatively-common situation.
22 >
23 > void *bar = foo();
24 >
25 > with foo implicitly declared. On 32-bit userland it'll be "all fine",
26 > but will crash badly on 64-bit userland.
27 >
28 > And this is without adding to the necessity of PIC, and the rest of
29 > little details that this brings with it.
30 >
31 > For the sake of safety, let's _not_ merge this, as we have said too many
32 > times for me to dig up.
35 > And finally, let's not call it ia32. No matter what Intel wants it to be
36 > called, if you were to call it like that, you'd just have a number of
37 > people asking why their ia64 stage don't work.
38 >
39 > --
40 > Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
41 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
42 >
43 > If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
44 > it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/
52 Best Regards,
53 Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov
54 Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, Russia
55 Department of Molecular and Radiation Biophysics
56 Gentoo Team Ru
57 Gentoo Linux Dev
58 mailto:alexxyum@×××××.com
59 mailto:alexxy@g.o