From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: remove sci-geosciences/googleearth from the tree
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 00:34:50
1 On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-07-22, o godz. 00:16:31
3 > hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >> - users have to run "layman -a foo" ...I hope they will manage (and the
5 >> masking reason will be updated to explain where to look for googleearth
6 >> ebuilds)
7 >
8 > Then to get *a single package* they start using the whole overlay. If
9 > it's a sane overlay, fine. But some overlays really replace a lot of
10 > stuff silently and trigger failures we didn't even imagine before.
13 We're starting to drift off topic here, but I've always felt that this
14 is something that could be improved on. I'm not saying that any of
15 this should just be thrown together, but some of the following might
16 be useful:
17
18 1. Overlay dependencies (depends on a particular package from a
19 particular overlay).
20 2. Overlay package.* (accept one version of one package from a
21 particular overlay, mask all packages in an overlay that aren't
22 explicitly unmasked, don't apply package.(un)mask from one overlay to
23 packages in another unless the mask references that overlay
24 specifically, etc).
25 3. Repository priority (paludis handles this fairly well I think) -
26 where you can control which overlays override which other ones.
27
28 I've never really liked the all-or-nothing design of overlays as they
29 currently stand. Even simply prioritizing them is a pretty crude
30 approach. It makes them fairly useless for general-purpose
31 distribution of packages.
32
33 Rich