From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: remove sci-geosciences/googleearth from the tree
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 01:10:28
1 On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > We're starting to drift off topic here, but I've always felt that this
3 > is something that could be improved on. I'm not saying that any of
4 > this should just be thrown together, but some of the following might
5 > be useful:
6 >
7 > 1. Overlay dependencies (depends on a particular package from a
8 > particular overlay).
9
10 In EAPI 5-progress, there's support for atom::repo deps.
11
12 > 2. Overlay package.* (accept one version of one package from a
13 > particular overlay, mask all packages in an overlay that aren't
14 > explicitly unmasked, don't apply package.(un)mask from one overlay to
15 > packages in another unless the mask references that overlay
16 > specifically, etc).
17
18 These things are all supported by portage, through use of atom::repo
19 in /etc/portage/package.* (or profile with EAPI 5-progress) and
20 repo-level configurations in $repo/profiles/package.* (which only
21 apply to packages from that repo).
22
23 > 3. Repository priority (paludis handles this fairly well I think) -
24 > where you can control which overlays override which other ones.
25
26 Portage also supports priority setting in /etc/portage/repos.conf.
27
28 > I've never really liked the all-or-nothing design of overlays as they
29 > currently stand.
30
31 These days, they should be much more flexible than they have been in the past.
32
33 > Even simply prioritizing them is a pretty crude
34 > approach. It makes them fairly useless for general-purpose
35 > distribution of packages.
36 >
37 > Rich
38 >