From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds suck, fix them
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:27:53
1 On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 20:43 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > And again, what's this distinction good for? Well, it's useless unless
3 > you are trying to enforce something like what you've suggested here
4 > before, i.e.
5 >
6 > <quote>
7 > I see nothing wrong with listing perl as the herd, *only* if
8 > they have themselves as the maintainer.
9 > </quote>
10 >
11 > Well of course it's wrong b/c people that don't give a damn about the
12 > thing you've just dumped on them will get the bugs! And will need to
13 > either remove themselves from metadata.xml or if they don't do it, will
14 > finally end up maintaining the thing once the guy who's kindly dumped it
15 > on them went MIA/retired.
16
17 No offense, but that's just insane. See, one of the problems that we
18 have now is the massive amount of unmaintained crap in the tree. Half
19 of this stuff, we don't even *realize* is unmaintained until a security
20 bug comes along. Wouldn't it be much nicer if, for example, there were
21 a perl app, and the maintainer went MIA and someone actually *knew*
22 about it?
23
24 I'm sorry, but the arguments you are presenting go against the idea of
25 what herds were designed to solve, packages with a single maintainer and
26 the maintainer disappearing. If the package is "no-herd" and only lists
27 a maintainer, then the maintainer goes MIA, we end up with yet another
28 unmaintained piece of junk in the tree. If it is listed as "perl" or
29 "games" or "livecd" or whatever, then somebody (hopefully) knows about
30 it, and can take action, such as: a) finding a maintainer, b) deciding
31 to maintain it themselves, or c) removing it from the tree after a "last
32 rites" email.
33
34 I mean, what next, we start pissing on trees to mark our territory? A
35 game is a game is a game. Not adding it to the games herd doesn't
36 change what it is any more than not adding livecd-tools to the livecd
37 herd changes it being something used for a livecd. I would much rather
38 see something like sunrise (but not necessarily sunrise itself) used to
39 put packages which are no longer maintained, but were once in the tree.
40 I guess I'm just a proponent of solving the problems we already have,
41 rather than making new ones.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
46 x86 Architecture Team