From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Herds suck, fix them
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:49:08
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 17:43 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
3 >>> Say it with me.
4 >>>
5 >>> Herd == packages
6 >>> Team == people
7 >> There's no such thing like <team> in metadata.xml, that's what we've
8 >> been talking about for ~1 day now.
9 >
10 > Maybe it's what you erroneously have been trying to say that I've been
11 > saying, but it definitely isn't what "we" have been talking about. The
12 > "team" is *implied* by the herd. If you email the alias for the herd,
13 > you get the team. It really is that simple.
14
15 Once again - the team is *only* implied by the herd if the team does
16 _agree_ that the particular package in question should belong to the
17 herd. If they don't, they it implies nothing.
18
19 So, what we have been talking about is that you shouldn't encourage
20 people to stick something into herd, like <herd>perl</herd> just because
21 it's perl app (or to restate what you've mentioned, to stick
22 <herd>games</herd> there just because it's a game. People won't like it,
23 so don't force you games team practice on others, it's not how that
24 mostly works outside of games herd/team.
25
26 To quote ciaranm, since I obviously can't express myself the way you
27 could understand:
28
29 <quote>
30 The issue is the old metastructure definition, which a) encourages
31 dumping packages upon herds that don't want them and b) means you can't
32 say "assign it to the vim herd". Which is rather annoying, because in
33 practice the people that maintain a particular herd call themselves a
34 herd, and the team / herd distinction is not usually made.
35 </quote>
36
37 > Let's look at this another way. There are a few packages which belong
38 > to the livecd herd. There is no livecd team, there is just me. The
39 > only person on the herd alias for livecd is me. That doesn't make *me*
40 > the livecd herd. It makes the *packages* the livecd herd and *me* the
41 > *maintainer*.
42
43 And again, what's this distinction good for? Well, it's useless unless
44 you are trying to enforce something like what you've suggested here
45 before, i.e.
46
47 <quote>
48 I see nothing wrong with listing perl as the herd, *only* if
49 they have themselves as the maintainer.
50 </quote>
51
52 Well of course it's wrong b/c people that don't give a damn about the
53 thing you've just dumped on them will get the bugs! And will need to
54 either remove themselves from metadata.xml or if they don't do it, will
55 finally end up maintaining the thing once the guy who's kindly dumped it
56 on them went MIA/retired.
61 jakub