From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: Azamat Hackimov <azamat.hackimov@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, rafaelmartins@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] lua upgrade plan
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 16:54:07
1 On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 01:16:02PM +0500, Azamat Hackimov wrote:
2 > 2017-06-30 22:16 GMT+05:00 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>:
3 >
4 > > All,
5 > >
6 > > Upstream does not support liblua as a shared library, and they do not
7 > > support installing multiple versions of lua onto a system. After
8 > > conferring with the other lua maintainer, the decision has been made to
9 > > remove this custom support from our lua package as well. This has been
10 > > talked about many times upstream.
13 > Lua devs very "hostile" to Linux distributers. I don't see why we should do
14 > as they want to do.
15 > They not have open vcs to simply see what they changes in new release, they
16 > don't accepts
17 > patches for system integration. They didn't even elementary easy-to-use
18 > build system. Just
19 > look to another distributives, they all do versioned and shared libraries
20 > of Lua 5.{1,2,3}. Fedora
21 > devs did custom Autotools-based buildsystem, Debian - provided pkg-config
22 > files. There also
23 > exists excellent LuaDist framework - still outdated, yes, but we can take
24 > from them CMake
25 > buildsystem to provide better integration into Gentoo enviroment. You have
26 > so many options
27 > but you still want to follow unwelcome Lua rules.
28
29 It is Gentoo's policy to stay as close to upstream as possible. However,
30 there are a couple of things that I can say about lua from what I've
31 seen so far.
34 > > They do not want it, and using liblua as a shared library causes
35 > > performance issues.
38 > Why, we live in XXI century, where this argument came from? What about
39 > security, did you
40 > forgot about it? How do you planning to do backward compatibility with old
41 > lua5.1 libraries
42 > and projects? They definitely have breakage since lua 5.2 and 5.3 not
43 > compatible with each
44 > other. Why Lua can't have same eclass as multislotted Python or Ruby? Lua
45 > ecosystem not
46 > so big, about 500 packages so why there no even little efforts to make Lua
47 > support in Gentoo
48 > better?
49
50 Portage has improved handling security issues like the ones with static
51 libraries a lot from what I understand by making --with-bdeps y the
52 default setting most of the time.
53
54 The lua build system seems to have a way to tell it to support
55 older things, there is a LUA_COMPAT_ALL compile flag. We'll have to see
56 what that does when it hits ~arch.
57
58 See this article for why using liblua as a shared library is not
59 recommended.
60
61 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general/18519
62
63 Yes, it talks about the interpretor, but it goes further and really
64 discourages even making a shared library available.
67 > --
68 > From Siberia with Love!
69
70 William