From: Azamat Hackimov <azamat.hackimov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, rafaelmartins@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] lua upgrade plan
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 08:16:11
1 2017-06-30 22:16 GMT+05:00 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>:
2
3 > All,
4 >
5 > Upstream does not support liblua as a shared library, and they do not
6 > support installing multiple versions of lua onto a system. After
7 > conferring with the other lua maintainer, the decision has been made to
8 > remove this custom support from our lua package as well. This has been
9 > talked about many times upstream.
12 Lua devs very "hostile" to Linux distributers. I don't see why we should do
13 as they want to do.
14 They not have open vcs to simply see what they changes in new release, they
15 don't accepts
16 patches for system integration. They didn't even elementary easy-to-use
17 build system. Just
18 look to another distributives, they all do versioned and shared libraries
19 of Lua 5.{1,2,3}. Fedora
20 devs did custom Autotools-based buildsystem, Debian - provided pkg-config
21 files. There also
22 exists excellent LuaDist framework - still outdated, yes, but we can take
23 from them CMake
24 buildsystem to provide better integration into Gentoo enviroment. You have
25 so many options
26 but you still want to follow unwelcome Lua rules.
29 > They do not want it, and using liblua as a shared library causes
30 > performance issues.
33 Why, we live in XXI century, where this argument came from? What about
34 security, did you
35 forgot about it? How do you planning to do backward compatibility with old
36 lua5.1 libraries
37 and projects? They definitely have breakage since lua 5.2 and 5.3 not
38 compatible with each
39 other. Why Lua can't have same eclass as multislotted Python or Ruby? Lua
40 ecosystem not
41 so big, about 500 packages so why there no even little efforts to make Lua
42 support in Gentoo
43 better?
46 From Siberia with Love!