From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rafaelmartins@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] lua upgrade plan
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 17:16:19
1 All,
2
3 lua has been behind in Gentoo for a while, but I have time now to start
4 working on fixing that this coming week, so consider this a heads-up
5 that things are going to start happening with regards to dev-lang/lua
6 and its dependencies.
7
8 Upstream does not support liblua as a shared library, and they do not
9 support installing multiple versions of lua onto a system. After
10 conferring with the other lua maintainer, the decision has been made to
11 remove this custom support from our lua package as well. This has been
12 talked about many times upstream. They do not want it, and using
13 liblua as a shared library causes performance issues.
14
15 Since that support never came out of p.mask, I will be removing it this
16 weekend or Monday at the latest and committing the next version of lua
17 to ~arch.
18
19 Once we get the tree fixed, I will address the lua overlay, preferably
20 we can address it by migrating things there to the tree.
21
22 I will be around most of the time next week, so I will be able to follow
23 up on issues.
24
25 Thanks,
26