From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Putting qa warnings to a text file instead of showing them to the world
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:24:41
1 <snip>
2
3 >However, by bitching about problems, there are some users that decide to
4 >check WTF is this warning, in turn they urge devs to fix it (and that is the main point of QA,
5 >right?), they report it with their bug reports and so on. In other words, the problem gets _NOTICED_
6 >by everybody.
7 >
8 >IMHO, leave it as it is now and don't bother. It is not that much of an output, compared to the
9 >compile output anyway.
10 >I'd prefer even having it red/bold/whatever for easy spotting.
11 >
12 I agree - hiding QA stuff just makes it be there longer. The more
13 people notice it, the more likely it is to get fixed, which is the best
14 way of making it not show up (IMHO anyway).
15
16 >And for the future, what about
17 >defining something like GENTOO_LEVEL="n00b|user|know_how|master|admin|dev|guru" in make.conf? And
18 >act acording to this, but trying to move the user up a level or two most of the time.
19 >
20 I don't think many people would enjoy having a system that made it its
21 business to tell them what they should know about. Different people
22 have different learning rates and learn in different ways about
23 different things. People who want to learn to solve their own problems
24 will; those who don't aren't likely to want their computer to try to
25 force them to (although I'll admit that Gentoo doesn't exactly attract
26 loads of the latter type).
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list