From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Putting qa warnings to a text file instead of showing them to the world
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:37:08
1 Lares Moreau wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 22:10 +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >
4 >>>I see the point about not showing all the QA stuff to the 'regluar'
5 >>>user. Maybe only show this info on screen with --verbose set. As for
6 >>>the QA-warnings file, how does this differ from parsing the files in
7 >>>PORTLOG_DIR?
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >>Stuff that goes to PORT_LOGDIR is also shown to the user.
13 > Could it be split? Have the QA stuff shown on screen only when --verbose
14 > is set, but have all the information written to PORT_LOGDIR no matter
15 > the flag.
16
17 That will be difficult to explain as a behaviour, not logical to me.
20 > In my experience most users don't use PORT_LOGDIR in the first place.
21 > People who want the information define PORT_LOGDIR and have the
22 > information. Why add files containing duplicate information?
23
24 ditto.
25
26 Imagine a world where every (Gentoo) user is a developer... dream... more!
27 You are right - impossible. However, by bitching about problems, there are some users that decide to
28 check WTF is this warning, in turn they urge devs to fix it (and that is the main point of QA,
29 right?), they report it with their bug reports and so on. In other words, the problem gets _NOTICED_
30 by everybody.
31
32 IMHO, leave it as it is now and don't bother. It is not that much of an output, compared to the
33 compile output anyway.
34
35 I'd prefer even having it red/bold/whatever for easy spotting. And for the future, what about
36 defining something like GENTOO_LEVEL="n00b|user|know_how|master|admin|dev|guru" in make.conf? And
37 act acording to this, but trying to move the user up a level or two most of the time.
38
39 Kalin.
40 /know_how ->master -->dev/
44 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+