From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Micha?? G??rny <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] example conversion of gentoo-x86 current deps to unified dependencies
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:50:44
1 On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:21:26PM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 04:10:01 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 09:56:27AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
6 > > > But consider that for example Zac & AxS (correct me if I recall it
7 > > > correctly) considered making changing the meaning of RDEPEND to
8 > > > install them before the build, thus effectively making 'build,run'
9 > > > useless.
10 > >
11 > > I really am not trying to be a blatant dick to you, but this has
12 > > /zero/ relevance. RDEPEND means "required for runtime". That ain't
13 > > changing. If they were discussing changing what RDEPEND meant, then
14 > > they were high, period.
15 > >
16 > > If zac/axs want to try and make the resolver install RDEPEND before
17 > > DEPEND... well, they're free to. That doesn't change the fact that
18 > > the deps still must be specified correctly; in short, build,run is
19 > > very much relevant.
20 >
21 > I don't think we have made up our mind what *exactly* we want from
22 > deps.
23
24 Are we now expecting deps to give us ponies or something? We know
25 *exactly* what we want from deps, and their current definition- the
26 problem isn't the definition, it's that we don't have the forms we
27 need.
30 > Just because we have something semi-correct right now, doesn't
31 > mean that we don't want to change that.
32
33 This is a no-op argument against the proposal: "we can't
34 change the deps because we might want to change the deps". It's also
35 irrelevant due to the core basis of it being broken as fuck (described
36 above).
39 > > There's also the fact doing this means best case, 2 less inodes per
40 > > VDB entry (more once we start adding dependency types). For my vdb,
41 > > I have 15523 across 798 pkgs. 1331 of that is *DEPEND, converted to
42 > > DEPENDENCIES the file count is 748. Note that's preserving DEPEND,
43 > > although it's worthless at this stage of the vdb. So 5% reduction in
44 > > files in there. Whoopy-de-doo, right?
45 >
46 > So we can modify vdb now? What about all those applications which
47 > obviously are broken due to that?
48
49 You're misunderstanding the problem of the VDB. We cannot change the
50 core structure of it- certain ebuilds currently expect to be able to
51 find USE/IUSE at specific pathways. That's where we're blocked.
52
53 Adding a new metadata key can, and has been done (defined_phases,
54 properties, required_use, etc). Removing keys can be done. For
55 efficiency, not writing a key if it's empty, can be and is being done.
56
57 Basically, your retort again, is wildly off mark and misunderstanding
58 the problem.
59
60 I strongly suggest you go do some real research into the existing
61 PMs, and the problems being discussed. Go read some code; you've
62 minimally got 3 different codebases to work from, and that's not
63 counting ML archives, tools, PMS, or the devmanul.
64
65 If per you're statements, you're actually serious about writing your
66 own PM, you're going to need to know this sort of shit /anyways/ to
67 actually do the basic legwork of a PM, so please go do the necessary
68 legwork if you want to persist in arguing about internals.
69
70 ~harring