From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ferringb@×××××.com, axs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] example conversion of gentoo-x86 current deps to unified dependencies
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:24:12
1 On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 04:10:01 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 09:56:27AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
5 > > But consider that for example Zac & AxS (correct me if I recall it
6 > > correctly) considered making changing the meaning of RDEPEND to
7 > > install them before the build, thus effectively making 'build,run'
8 > > useless.
9 >
10 > I really am not trying to be a blatant dick to you, but this has
11 > /zero/ relevance. RDEPEND means "required for runtime". That ain't
12 > changing. If they were discussing changing what RDEPEND meant, then
13 > they were high, period.
14 >
15 > If zac/axs want to try and make the resolver install RDEPEND before
16 > DEPEND... well, they're free to. That doesn't change the fact that
17 > the deps still must be specified correctly; in short, build,run is
18 > very much relevant.
19
20 I don't think we have made up our mind what *exactly* we want from
21 deps. Just because we have something semi-correct right now, doesn't
22 mean that we don't want to change that. But I guess with the whole
23 amount of noise in here I won't ever get any definitive answer.
24
25 > There's also the fact doing this means best case, 2 less inodes per
26 > VDB entry (more once we start adding dependency types). For my vdb,
27 > I have 15523 across 798 pkgs. 1331 of that is *DEPEND, converted to
28 > DEPENDENCIES the file count is 748. Note that's preserving DEPEND,
29 > although it's worthless at this stage of the vdb. So 5% reduction in
30 > files in there. Whoopy-de-doo, right?
31
32 So we can modify vdb now? What about all those applications which
33 obviously are broken due to that?
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny