From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Suggestion: INVALID -> NOCHANGE in bugzilla
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:01:23
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > As one who was offended when one of my first bugs got INVALIDated...
3 >
4 I know the feeling, mate :)
5
6 > NOTABUG would have been better. It may suffer some of the same issues,
7 > but is better, and at least here, wouldn't have the discouraging
8 > connotations due to the minor variation in meaning. Invalid (to me)
9 > implies a judgement of the work of the submitter, while NOTABUG (to me)
10 > implies more a simple variance of opinion, recognizing the other
11 > viewpoint as possibly valid (not invalid), but simply choosing a
12 > different route, making a different choice.
13 >
14 Agreed. Let's face it, this is a question of how it makes users feel about
15 getting involved with helping Gentoo.
16
17 > After looking the word and a couple related words up in kdict and paying
18 > special attention to the thesaurus, I came up with a couple other
19 > suggestions as well:
20 >
21 > NULL or VOID.
22 >
23 Yuck! Personally I understand the computer word well, and if i were to get a
24 NUL it would mean no signal (yes, i know it's a zero). Void has bad
25 connotations too for some reason, like a dustbin, er.
26
27 I'd stick with NOTABUG. After all, it's not like other projects haven't got
28 anything to teach about user involvement.. what's wrong with standards? ;)
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list