From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Suggestion: INVALID -> NOCHANGE in bugzilla
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:57:05
1 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> posted eu3rat$3ns$1@×××××××××.org,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:40:28 -0600:
3
4 > Marius Mauch wrote:
5 >> "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Arguably no bug is invalid in the normal sense - if someone raises an
8 >>> issue, they have an issue, regardless what we think of it. To that
9 >>> end I'd like to propose bugzilla be reconfigured to use the phrase
10 >>> "NOCHANGE" instead of "INVALID". NOCHANGE would indicate that
11 >>> whatever the original issue, no change is needed on our part to
12 >>> resolve the issue.
13 >>
14 >> _If_ it's changed then please to something else, NOCHANGE would overlap
15 >> with other values (WONTFIX, CANTFIX, WORKSFORME) and isn't that obvious
16 >> to me at least. A fake resolution that's mentioned on IRC from time to
17 >> time is NOTABUG which would fit better here.
18 >
19 > I like freedesktop.org's bugzilla, which has INVALID, NOTABUG and
20 > NOTOURBUG. ;) But yeah, NOTABUG is used by a few different projects and
21 > seems to work.
22
23 As one who was offended when one of my first bugs got INVALIDated...
24
25 NOTABUG would have been better. It may suffer some of the same issues,
26 but is better, and at least here, wouldn't have the discouraging
27 connotations due to the minor variation in meaning. Invalid (to me)
28 implies a judgement of the work of the submitter, while NOTABUG (to me)
29 implies more a simple variance of opinion, recognizing the other
30 viewpoint as possibly valid (not invalid), but simply choosing a
31 different route, making a different choice.
32
33 After looking the word and a couple related words up in kdict and paying
34 special attention to the thesaurus, I came up with a couple other
35 suggestions as well:
36
37 NULL or VOID.
38
39 As with NOTABUG, these would imply (to me) more a choice to go a
40 different way, as opposed to the implication that the opinion and/or work
41 of the filer is INVALID.
42
43 I recognize that's a nuance of meaning that may not hold worldwide, and
44 one or both of the above might be even worse to some people, but it seems
45 to me that what we are really looking for is a way to "nullify" the bug,
46 without implying the filer is a moron, and at least here, any of the
47 three alternatives (NOTABUG, NULL, VOID) are less offensive than INVALID.
48
49 If the description of resolution could be specifically worded to mention
50 we are NOT calling the work and/or opinion invalid, simply not choosing
51 that viewpoint/solution at this point, it might help as well, especially
52 if there's some way to cause the bug-mailing script to include the
53 resolution definition in the mail, so it would be seen there, not just if
54 someone went to the site.
55
56 What do others think of NULL or VOID vs. NOTABUG vs. INVALID?
57 Personally, I'd lean toward NULL, as I think the computer-speak
58 definition quite works, but for the non-dev-types, particularly of other
59 cultures, it's entirely possible there's an even worse offensive
60 connotation I'm not aware of.
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list