From: Kevin <lists@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Using OpenAFS volumes as storage for various portage directories
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 16:44:54
1 Hi Gentoo Devs-
2
3 Thank you to Martin MOKREJŠ and the others who contributed to the recent
4 thread on new openafs ebuilds. I've been using my own ebuilds (they're ugly
5 and I doubt that anyone in the Gentoo dev-team would be interested in them,
6 but if someone's interested I'd be glad to share) with OpenAFS for about a
7 year now and have been using OAFS with linux for maybe two years. OAFS has a
8 great deal to offer and I'm glad to see somebody working on improving the
9 support in Gentoo for OAFS.
10
11 But I'm writing today to get some pointers on the subject of keeping various
12 portage directories
13 (/usr/portage, /usr/portage/packages, /usr/portage/distfiles, etc.) on afs
14 volumes.
15
16 I've been experimenting with this notion for a month or so and seem to be
17 having no notable problems to speak of thus far, but I wonder if someone more
18 expert in Gentoo than me and also familiar with OAFS could offer any
19 comments.
20
21 In my experiments, I have an afs volume called portage in the afs tree and I
22 make a symlink in all the networked machines' local filesystems
23 at /usr/portage that points to this volume. I have another afs volume called
24 distfiles and there is a 'distfiles' symlink in the portage volume that
25 points to it. I have also set PKGDIR to /usr/packages and
26 symlinked /usr/packages to another afs volume. OAFS docs describe what seems
27 to me to be a reasonably good system for storing system binaries on afs
28 volumes with a general tree structure like this:
29
30 /afs
31 /afs/cell.name
32 /afs/cell.name/i386_linux24/usr/afsws/{bin,lib}
33 /afs/cell.name/i386_linux26/usr/afsws/{bin,lib}
34 /afs/cell.name/ppc_linux26/usr/afsws/{bin,lib}
35
36 and so on, and then making symlinks in the local fs to these volumes. I'm
37 just trying to extend this notion to Gentoo.
38
39 I made afs volumes under each of these architecture/linux-kernel trees called
40 arch.kernel.packages. Then, going to each machine in the network, made
41 symlinks from /usr/packages to the appropriate afs volume.
42
43 This system seems to work for me pretty well, but I wonder if there are subtle
44 issues that I'm overlooking that should be addressed. One issue that I have
45 thought a little about is keeping readonly access to the afs volumes that all
46 the machines need and obtaining write access to the appropriate afs volumes
47 whenever running an emerge --sync or emerging a package or making a quickpkg
48 out of an installed package. I have a scheme in place that works, but I'm
49 sure there are many things I've overlooked with it.
50
51 Does anyone have any thoughts to share on:
52
53 a) general advisability of this (seems like a good thing to me---lots of
54 savings on space across machines, oafs has a good authentication system in
55 kerberos, seems better to me than running a local rsync server alone and also
56 better in at least some ways than NFS, etc),
57 b) what special considerations I should keep in mind with such a scheme,
58 c) security,
59 d) general reading material to help me think about a-c better.
60
61 TIA.
64 Kevin
65 http://www.gnosys.us