From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using OpenAFS volumes as storage for various portage directories
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 05:23:50
1 Kevin wrote:
2
3 ><snip>
4 >
5 >Does anyone have any thoughts to share on:
6 >
7 >a) general advisability of this (seems like a good thing to me---lots of
8 >savings on space across machines, oafs has a good authentication system in
9 >kerberos, seems better to me than running a local rsync server alone and also
10 >better in at least some ways than NFS, etc),
11 >b) what special considerations I should keep in mind with such a scheme,
12 >c) security,
13 >d) general reading material to help me think about a-c better.
17 Sounds like you have a couple of Gentoo boxes there. You may want to
18 look into a recent feature that was added. /etc/make.conf now supports
19 the source keyword like shell scripts. You can have a network wide
20 make.conf that you include on all your hosts. Then override whatever
21 needs it. That's all the input I have since I know nothing about afs.
22
23 --Iggy
24
25 >TIA.