From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item: xorg-server dropping default suid
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 13:36:54
1 200622 Piotr Karbowski wrote:
2 > On 22/06/2020 06.03, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >> I don't want to use 'systemd', as I want to run a traditional UNIX version
5 >> of Linux + KDE (or Fluxbox) for a simple single-user desktop system.
6 > Then... don't use systemd ! I officially give you my approval for that.
7 > Read what you quoted in your email, elogind is standalone package.
8 > Elogind does work normally in the configuration with OpenRC and startx.
9
10 Ah, it cb used with 'startx', which is vital for me.
11
12 >> So again : Why is running 'xorg-server' as root "heavily discouraged" ?
13 > It's common sense to run software with the least privileges they require,
14 > so if new attack vector is discovered,
15 > perhaps there will be no escalation surface to make use of it.
16
17 OK, understood. It doesn't look as if there's any genuine danger
18 in continuing to use 'xorg-server' with 'suid' on my single-user system,
19 but if it really is as straightforward to use 'elogind' instead,
20 I may decide to change to that method for the reason you offer.
21
22 Thanks for your explanation & to all the devs for their unpaid labors.
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet