From: Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item: xorg-server dropping default suid
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 07:09:39
1 Hi,
2
3 On 22/06/2020 06.03, Philip Webb wrote:
4 [...]
5 > I don't want to use 'systemd', as I want to run a traditional UNIX version
6 > of Linux + KDE (or Fluxbox) for a simple single-user desktop system.
7
8 Then... don't use systemd? I officially give you my approval for that.
9 Read what you quoted in your email, elogind is standalone package.
10
11 The elogind does work normally in the configuration with OpenRC and startx.
12
13 > So i ask again : Why is running 'xorg-server' as root "heavily discouraged" ?
14 It's common sense to run software with the least privileges they
15 require, so if new attack vector is discovered, perhaps there will be no
16 escalation surface to make use of it.
17
18 -- Piotr.