From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qa last rites multiple packages
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 18:25:35
1 On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:52 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > My understanding of p.mask is it is never permanent. Things go in
3 > there until they get fixed or eventually removed.
4
5 I disagree with this. In my opinion, it is fine to have permanently
6 masked packages in some cases. I don't really care what the existing
7 documentation says on this; documentation can be updated.
8
9 > p.masked packages do not directly benefit from any forms of qa (eclass
10 > fixes, etc).
11 >
12 > I don't think, for example, we test eclass changes to see if they
13 > break masked packages.
14 >
15 > Also, as far as I know, we don't use p.masked packages as a
16 > way to keep eclasses in the tree do we -- for example, (I haven't looked
17 > at the code), but I'm guessing that a number of these packages use
18 > games.eclass which is on the way out. If we say we can't get rid of
19 > these packages, we may not be able to get rid of games.eclass.
20
21 Agreed. If the ebuild has no hope of working at all, there is no point
22 in keeping it in the tree. It should not hold up removal of obsolete
23 eclasses.
24
25 > It is unlikely as well that masked packages are actively maintained at
26 > all, especially those that have been setting in the tree masked for
27 > multiple years. You are basically asking that we keep bitrotting broken
28 > packages in the tree.
29
30 If the package is unmaintained and broken, then it should be removed.
31 However, there are cases where the package is usable and has been
32 masked for some other reason, security being the obvious example.