From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qa last rites multiple packages
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 15:52:54
1 On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 03:10:13PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2015 14:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 6:47 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> I am particularly concerned about packages with known security
6 > >> vulnerabilities staying in the main tree masked. If people want to keep
7 > >> using those packages, I don't want to stop them, but packages like this
8 > >> should not be in the main tree.
9 > >>
10 > >
11 > > Is this policy documented anywhere? If not, I'd be interested in what
12 > > the general sense of the community is here, and this might be an
13 > > appropriate topic for the next Council meeting.
14 > >
15 > > I guess my question is what harm does it cause to have masked packages
16 > > in the main tree, where they at least benefit from other forms of QA
17 > > (eclass fixes, etc)? The mask messages clearly point out the security
18 > > issues, so anybody who unmasks them is making an informed decision.
19 > > If they just move to some overlay most likely they won't have any
20 > > warnings and people will just figure that they're one of 10k other
21 > > packages that someone doesn't want to bother getting into the tree.
22 > >
23 > > I'll go ahead and reply to the council agenda thread with this, and
24 > > I'd be interested in what the general sense of the rest of the
25 > > community is here.
28 > I always thought the (informal, ad-hoc) policy for buildable, working
29 > packages with security bugs was to p.mask them and let the user decide.
30 > For all the reasons you cite.
31 >
32 > And that packages are only removed from the tree when they don't build,
33 > don't work, upstream is gone and took their sources with them, etc, etc.
34
35 My understanding of p.mask is it is never permanent. Things go in
36 there until they get fixed or eventually removed.
37
38 p.masked packages do not directly benefit from any forms of qa (eclass
39 fixes, etc).
40
41 I don't think, for example, we test eclass changes to see if they
42 break masked packages.
43
44 Also, as far as I know, we don't use p.masked packages as a
45 way to keep eclasses in the tree do we -- for example, (I haven't looked
46 at the code), but I'm guessing that a number of these packages use
47 games.eclass which is on the way out. If we say we can't get rid of
48 these packages, we may not be able to get rid of games.eclass.
49
50 It is unlikely as well that masked packages are actively maintained at
51 all, especially those that have been setting in the tree masked for
52 multiple years. You are basically asking that we keep bitrotting broken
53 packages in the tree.
54
55 William