From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qa last rites multiple packages
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:10:26
1 On 07/01/2015 14:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 6:47 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I am particularly concerned about packages with known security
5 >> vulnerabilities staying in the main tree masked. If people want to keep
6 >> using those packages, I don't want to stop them, but packages like this
7 >> should not be in the main tree.
10 > Is this policy documented anywhere? If not, I'd be interested in what
11 > the general sense of the community is here, and this might be an
12 > appropriate topic for the next Council meeting.
13 >
14 > I guess my question is what harm does it cause to have masked packages
15 > in the main tree, where they at least benefit from other forms of QA
16 > (eclass fixes, etc)? The mask messages clearly point out the security
17 > issues, so anybody who unmasks them is making an informed decision.
18 > If they just move to some overlay most likely they won't have any
19 > warnings and people will just figure that they're one of 10k other
20 > packages that someone doesn't want to bother getting into the tree.
21 >
22 > I'll go ahead and reply to the council agenda thread with this, and
23 > I'd be interested in what the general sense of the rest of the
24 > community is here.
27 I always thought the (informal, ad-hoc) policy for buildable, working
28 packages with security bugs was to p.mask them and let the user decide.
29 For all the reasons you cite.
30
31 And that packages are only removed from the tree when they don't build,
32 don't work, upstream is gone and took their sources with them, etc, etc.
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com