From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: emul-linux-x86-xlibs deps being replaced in gx86
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:17:25
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:21:55 +0800
3 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 22 April 2013 03:43, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> The common kind of committed dep now looks like:
8 >>>
9 >>> || (
10 >>> (
11 >>> x11-libs/libXfoo[abi_x86_32]
12 >>> x11-libs/libXbar[abi_x86_32]
13 >>> )
14 >>> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs
15 >>> )
16 >>
17 >> It should come as no surprise that I am not happy with this. While I
18 >> applaud your efforts to attempt to improve the multilib situation, I don't
19 >> think we are quite at the stage yet where this can be pushed as the default
20 >> choice, as you are doing now.
21 >
22 > This is an any-of dep, so it does not really change anything for
23 > emul-linux users. I've taken specifically this approach to relax
24 > the timeline for multilib attempt and allow testing it without the need
25 > to enforce it on anyone.
26 >
27 >> I am also not convinced this is the approach to multilib that we should be
28 >> taking, and I know there are others for who this is controversial as well.
29 >
30 > I'm afraid that so far the most negative opinions came from people
31 > directly related to the portage-multilib project. While I value their
32 > opinion, I'm afraid they are a little biased by the fact that we're
33 > working on something alternate to their project, and which may cause
34 > their work to end up mostly irrelevant.
37 Really, please stop spreading FUD.
38
39 Neither me as the maintainer of multilib-portage nor Steven as the
40 original author of the multilib-native eclass have been telling you to
41 stop your project, lied about you or insulted you personally (which i
42 sadly cannot say the reverse way).
43
44 The only situations, where you got negative feedback from me was in
45 cases you did something bad (like moving headers into the libdir causing
46 breakage for depending packages and additional work onto other maintainers).
47
48 Additionally, i already wrote, that i am ok with an eclass based
49 solution under certain conditions, so how you get to the conclusion,
50 that i am against it is probably your secret.
51
52 And finally, multilib-portage will still have its usecases if and when
53 your eclass based multilib suggestions get widely used, so the
54 irrelevance is again your personal view.
55
56 You partly duplicated my work and need to be pushed hard to also add the
57 features i have already developed and tested (like headers wrapping and
58 binary wrapping). So i am rather amused about your behaviour and
59 attitude to code/features already developed and tested in
60 multilib-portage then anything else. ;-)
64 Thomas Sachau
65 Gentoo Linux Developer