From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Difference of global/local useflags
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 22:20:10
1 On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 23:44, Joseph Booker wrote:
2 > John Nilsson said:
3 > > All this metadata, and dependency stuff is really suitable for some web
4 > > standardization. It isn't really my area, but wasn't RDF created for
5 > > this kind of problems?
6
7 > So, perfect for RSS feeds and your media libary or playlist or whatever
8 > your media player callls it, but not for something big and complex such as
9 > all the ebuilds (all the ebuilds in one file seems scary and impossible
10 > anyways)
11 >
12 > also, maybe you can elaborate on what you mean by web standardization?
13
14 I meant for upstream developers. So instead of ./README or ./INSTALL
15 stating dependencies ./METADATA.xml or what have you.
16
17 A package should provide a uri interface to this information so that
18 webservices for dependency resolving can be created.
19
20 Make portage more of a webservice...
21
22 -John