From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Difference of global/local useflags
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 21:44:09
1 John Nilsson said:
2 > All this metadata, and dependency stuff is really suitable for some web
3 > standardization. It isn't really my area, but wasn't RDF created for
4 > this kind of problems?
5
6 I believe that there have been discussions about using xml-based files for
7 a portage backend, but the current system of using ebuilds works, which is
8 what matters (and I'm sure theres other arguments depending how you want
9 to implement it)
10
11 >From http://www.w3.org/RDF/:
12 The Resource Description Framework (RDF) integrates a variety of
13 applications from library catalogs and world-wide directories to
14 syndication and aggregation of news, software, and content to personal
15 collections of music, photos, and events using XML as an interchange
16 syntax. The RDF specifications provide a lightweight ontology system to
17 support the exchange of knowledge on the Web.
18
19 So, perfect for RSS feeds and your media libary or playlist or whatever
20 your media player callls it, but not for something big and complex such as
21 all the ebuilds (all the ebuilds in one file seems scary and impossible
22 anyways)
23
24 also, maybe you can elaborate on what you mean by web standardization?
27 Joe Booker
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list