From: Steve <l8tr2000@×××××.com>
To: drobbins@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] SFVLUG presentation
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 06:21:01
1 Dear Mr Robbins,
2
3 Hello, my name is Steve Petrovits
4 (l8tr2000@×××××.com), I can often be found in #gentoo
5 on irc as iLLf8d. I'm an active member of the San
6 Fernando Valley Linux Users Group. I was asked to make
7 a presentation for the group, and as my topic I chose
8 Gentoo Linux. I've been eager to try your distribution
9 since my first exposure to your site. I currently run
10 Gentoo, Debian and FreeBSD and have eagerly awaited a
11 ports based Linux distribution for quite some time.
12 I'm writing you to gather a bit of information not
13 found on the gentoo site. I am scheduled to give my
14 presentation on Saturday July 13th, this coming
15 Saturday, a response before then would be greatly
16 appreciated, tho I know you're very busy. I'm very
17 new to Gentoo, and have only been running it for a few
18 weeks, although, I've been quite happy with its
19 performance. I've combed the sites documentation and
20 links for background info on the project, and any
21 insights as to the possible course of Gentoo in the
22 future, however the site is all business. I plan to
23 try to cover a number of links from your projects,
24 portage, your social contract, features etc... all of
25 this info is easily found on the site. There are a
26 few questions I have that aren't covered which will
27 add greatly to my presentation, hopefully someone will
28 have a bit of time to answer them for me.
29
30 When was the project started (was the plan always to
31 create a distribution)?
32
33 When did the project reach critical mass?
34
35 The site plainly states that Gentoo is for the
36 experienced user, as Gentoo matures are there plans to
37 make it more accessible to a broader range of user
38 experience levels?
39
40 Through daily operations I've noticed a hands off
41 approach to package and or system script
42 configurations, a number of standards across other
43 distributions are left at default. I started to
44 notice this, even during my install when I added a
45 user and noticed that his home path wasn't even
46 defined, when delving further I discovered that almost
47 everything related to this function was left at
48 default as is much of the system after the install.
49 Will this approach remain into the future?
50
51 How large is your core team, and active developer
52 base. (is it larger than listed on the sites
53 developers page)?
54
55 Lately it seems that distributions come and go, a few
56 that come to mind are (Sorcerer, Storm, Corel) how
57 strong is Gentoo's current position, and developer
58 support?
59
60 Are there any plans to simplify the installation
61 process?
62
63 I've noticed that you've published a number of
64 excellent tutorials and papers on IBM developerWorks,
65 is IBM using, or have they expressed any interest in
66 Gentoo as a packaged server solution in the future?
67
68 Is Gentoo linked with IBM in any way?
69
70 I've been lurking in #gentoo for what must be a year
71 now, logging conversations for useful install info,
72 and watching devel/user interactions. I've noticed
73 that developer accessiblity and the number of
74 experienced users in channel has dropped, although
75 theres also been the creation of a forum onsite, and a
76 number of new channels on OPN. What is the reason for
77 this shift (maturation of the dist and less demand for
78 support, fervored development leaving less time for
79 user interaction, a change in support venue etc.. )?
80
81 What are your plans for Gentoo now and into the
82 future?
83
84 If you were giving this presentation, what information
85 would you add that could not be found on the site?
86
87 Is there any information, in the form of handouts or
88 otherwise that you would like me to distribute to the
89 group?
90
91 I've got a number of other questions i'd like to ask
92 (related to my own gentoo experience) however, I know
93 you're quite busy therefore I'll try to catch you
94 in IRC at your convenience. I apologise if any of
95 these questions were covered on the site, I have a
96 tendency to drift over to the most interesting
97 sections and forget my presentation research entirely.
98 Thank you for your time.
99
100 Steve
101 (l8tr2000@×××××.com)
102
103 PS. On a personal note I'd like to thank you and your
104 developers for all your work and for this great
105 addition to the Linux Community.
106
108 Do You Yahoo!?
109 Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free
110 http://sbc.yahoo.com